First Reference company logo

First Reference Talks

News and Discussions on Payroll, HR & Employment Law

decorative image

CIC public consultation on immigration and labour market needs

cdn-flagStarting April 16, 2010, Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) will be conducting a public consultation on immigration and labour market needs in Canada. The purposes of the consultation is to identify worker shortages in trades and professions across Canada as well as the factors that affect an immigrant’s ability to succeed in Canada’s workforce.

The results of the consultations will help develop instructions to immigration officers on which economic immigration applications are eligible for processing. The ministerial instructions are an important part of the selection of economic immigrants. They help select people who can fill projected work force needs. Because these needs change, the instructions must change too.

Research shows that factors like an immigrant’s language skills, age and education account for up to 60 percent of their economic success. The other 40 percent depends on factors outside an immigrant’s control, such as our country’s economic conditions.

To fill out a survey and submit your comments as of April 16, 2010, go to

Yosie Saint-Cyr
First Reference Human Resources and Compliance Managing Editor

Follow me

Yosie Saint-Cyr, LL.B. Managing Editor

Managing Editor at First Reference Inc.
Yosie Saint-Cyr, LL.B., is a trained lawyer called to the Quebec bar in 1988 and is still a member in good standing. She practiced business, employment and labour law until 1999. For over 18 years, Yosie has been the Managing Editor of the following publications, Human Resources Advisor, Human Resources PolicyPro, HRinfodesk and Accessibility Standards PolicyPro from First Reference. Yosie is one of Canada’s best known and most respected HR authors, with an extensive background in employment and labour across the country. Read more
Follow me

Latest posts by Yosie Saint-Cyr, LL.B. Managing Editor (see all)


, , , , ,

Comments are currently closed.