On Tuesday, April 21, 2020, the federal government announced in their daily press briefing that businesses will be able to apply for the Canada Emergency Wage Subsidy (CEWS) starting Monday, April 27, 2020.
As a Canadian employer whose business has been affected by COVID-19, you may be eligible for a subsidy of 75 percent of employee wages for up to 12 weeks, retroactive from March 15, 2020, to June 6, 2020.
This wage subsidy will enable you to re-hire workers previously laid off as a result of COVID-19, help prevent further job losses, and better position you to resume normal operations following the crisis. You can read more on the eligibility and requirements for the CEWS in our previous post here.
In addition, available now, businesses have access to a tool to find out how much their wage subsidy may be. The tool can be accessed here.
As stated previously, and as outlined on the government website, beginning April 27, applications will be open for the Canada Emergency Wage Subsidy.
- Most businesses may apply using My Business Account
- If you represent a business, you may apply using Represent a Client
- Alternatively, you may apply using a separate online application form (available April 27)
The CEWS will be processed at the payroll program (RP) account level, so you will have to file a separate application for each RP account.
More government information can be found here.
Latest posts by Marie-Yosie Saint-Cyr, LL.B. Managing Editor (see all)
- Family Day off with pay 2021 - February 12, 2021
- Limiting access to federal recovery benefits during the mandatory quarantine - January 21, 2021
- First Reference annual holiday donation, season’s greetings and holiday break - December 24, 2020