Effective November 28, 2016, the Societies Act [SBC 2015] Chapter 18 (the “Act”) comes into force and governs how societies are formed and operate in British Columbia.
Societies are not–for–profit corporations and those existing prior to the Act coming into force will have until November 28, 2018 (2 years) to file a transition to be in compliance with the Act. A significant administrative update is the creation of Societies Online, a web–based application that allows for the online filing of most of the transactions and documents for societies.
Below are links to further information on the new Act and how to transition your society.
- General information on the new Act and transitioning as published by the government of British Columbia: The New Societies Act & Transition
- Transition Guide as published by the government of British Columbia: A Guide to the Transition Process
- Frequently Asked Questions about the Act as published by the government of British Columbia: Frequently Asked Questions
- How much should a Canadian registered charity spend on administration? - November 30, 2022
- Finance proposes changes to disbursement quota for charities and some increased transparency - November 11, 2022
- Budget Implementation Act passed allowing certain additional charitable partnerships - July 21, 2022