I recently read in HRmagazine.co.uk that 82 percent of survey respondents said they thought the Britain’s Got Talent and American Idol judge, Simon Cowelll, would be perfect for a career in human resources, with half of those saying it was his ruthless manner that would work well in this “hiring and firing” role.
Almost fell off my chair! I know this is a survey… but… makes you think, why?
Partner has become the term of choice for HR professionals who help accomplish business goals… turning strategy into action.
Simply put, this is what Simon Cowell does best!
In addition, he possesses the two qualities Ulrich identifies to succeed as a strategic partner: fortitude and discipline. Further, he could likely overcome Ulrich’s five challenges to succeed in HR:
- Avoiding strategic plans on the top shelf; meaning, translating aspirations into actions
- Creating a balanced scorecard; meaning, meeting the needs and expectations of stakeholders, executives, customers and employees
- Aligning HR plans to business plans; merging and integrating plans, thinking, practices and decisions to ensure results
- Watching out for quick fixes; avoiding benchmarking (learning about best practices) and frou-frou— learning but doing it better
- Creating a capability focus within the organization; building core competenties and capabilities within the organization—what an organization is able to do or needs to do to accomplish its strategy; HR will identify and improve those capabilities to implement strategy and leverage new products, outputs and outcome
Well, you can read more, and I strongly recommend Ulrich’s book for all aspiring HR managers: Human resource champions: the next agenda for adding value and delivering.
Human Resources and Compliance Managing Editor
Latest posts by Marie-Yosie Saint-Cyr, LL.B. Managing Editor (see all)
- Family Day off with pay 2021 - February 12, 2021
- Limiting access to federal recovery benefits during the mandatory quarantine - January 21, 2021
- First Reference annual holiday donation, season’s greetings and holiday break - December 24, 2020