As the second wave—and possibly a third wave—of the COVID-19 pandemic continues to change the way that people work and live in Canada, businesses are adapting as well.
Provincial governments require that businesses that operate during a lockdown put a written safety plan in place. In Ontario, the government has launched a health and safety education campaign that focuses on helping businesses reopen safely. Provincial offences officers will be carrying out inspections to ensure that businesses are complying with the Reopening Ontario Act, which includes having a safety plan in place.
A COVID-19 Safety Plan signals that the business has done its homework and that workers and visitors can enter the workplace with confidence. All businesses and organizations are different and will have their own safety measures in place. Because of these differences, it’s helpful to have a place to start when creating a safety plan.
PolicyPro provides a COVID-19 Safety Plan template to help employers establish their safety protocols and procedures for keeping their workplaces safe during a communicable or infectious disease outbreak or pandemic.
For example, the Ontario COVID-19 Safety Plan covers things like:
- Ensuring workers know how and are able to keep themselves safe from exposure to COVID-19
- Screening for COVID-19
- Ensuring measures are in place to eliminate or reduce contacts
- Controlling the risk of transmission in the workplace
- What to do if there is a case of COVID-19 or exposure at the workplace
- Managing new risks caused by changes to the way the business operates
- Ensuring the safety plan is working
- Communicating the plan to employees
The Safety Plan is available in the Emergency Preparedness Policies chapter of the Ontario edition of PolicyPro under 7.03 Communicable/Infectious Disease Response and Business Continuity.
As conditions change, employers must remain vigilant and continually update their COVID-19 Safety Plans. It’s essential to have a communicable/infectious disease response and business continuity policy in place with the proper up-to-date safety plan to ensure your workplace is complying with the ever-evolving rules of the COVID-19 pandemic. To obtain a free copy of the policy, as well as the Safety Plan template, go to firstreference.com for a 30-day trial and to learn about the other 12 policies in the Emergency Preparedness chapter.
Learn how PolicyPro can help you manage, distribute and get signoff for your HR policies.
Latest posts by Nancy Currie (see all)
- Vaccination program in the workplace - July 5, 2021
- Vital policies for reopening after the pandemic - June 11, 2021
- New and updated employee leave policies in PolicyPro for Manitoba - June 10, 2021