This year on the First Reference Talks blog, we’ve been covering some of the hot topics in employment and labour law, employee management, payroll and internal controls. Making the list this year are blog posts on the topic of the COVID-19 pandemic. Not surprising! But yes, we did have other posts dealing with other topics than COVID-19, like privacy, accommodation and terminations.
The most viewed and read blog post for 2020 was the Federal COVID-19 aid package: The 10 percent wage subsidy and the Canada Emergency Wage Subsidy (updated) post, which was published at the height of the first wave of the COVID-19 pandemic when businesses and employers needed to understand how the wage subsidies worked. Since this initial post, the wage subsidies have evolved greatly.
Here is a list of the top 10 most-viewed and read First Reference Talks blog posts from our regular guest bloggers for 2020:
- Masks and the workplace: what Ontario employers need to know by Vey Willetts
- COVID-19 pandemic: Fact sheet for employers and employees by Rudner Law
- No obligation to accommodate employee’s “preference” to work closer to home by Rudner Law
- Breach of COVID-19 safety procedures justifies dismissal by Vey Willetts
- Mental fatigue during COVID-19 – Support your team by Beyond Rewards
- Accommodating child care and eldercare obligations in a COVID-19 world by Doug MacLeod
- Work from home expenses by Spring Law
- Considerations for employers as we return to work by Spring Law
- Waksdale v. Swegon North America Inc. – Is your termination clause still enforceable? by Doug MacLeod
- Working from home and privacy by Christina Catenacci
Worth mentioning also is the following well-read and viewed posts from our occasional contributors:
- Managing the coronavirus (COVID-19) for employers by Osler
- Remote work considerations: An employer’s guide by Emond Harnden
- Topping up employee pay during temporary layoffs using a Supplementary Unemployment Benefit Plan (SUB Plan) (Canada) by DLA Piper
- COVID-19 and employment insurance – everything you need to know (Canada) by DLA Piper
We would like to remind our readers who subscribed to the Internal Controls blog (IC blog) that the IC blog and past posts were merged with the First Reference Talks blog during the summer of 2020. In 2021, we hope to have more topics on internal controls covered on First Reference Talks.
We want to thank all our regular and occasional contributors for their contributions to First Reference Talks in 2020.
Thank you also to all our readers for reading the blog, and we love hearing from you, so feel free to:
- Write us in the comment field below each post
- Like the post
- Follow us on Facebook
- Join the conversation on Twitter
- Join our Payroll, Employment Law, HR and Internal Controls professionals on LinkedIn
We will have much more for you in 2021!
Latest posts by Marie-Yosie Saint-Cyr, LL.B. Managing Editor (see all)
- First Reference annual holiday donation, season’s greetings and holiday break - December 24, 2020
- Top 10 most-read First Reference Talks blog posts for 2020 - December 24, 2020
- Entitlements to public holidays during the holiday season - December 23, 2020