I previously reported that, since Express Entry began on January 1, 2015, Citizenship and Immigration Canada (“CIC”) had issued two rounds of Invitations to Apply (“ITAs”). An ITA allows a foreign national to submit their application for permanent residence under one of the following categories:
- The Federal Skilled Worker (“FSW”) Class;
- The Canadian Experience Class (“CEC”);
- The Federal Skilled Trades (“FST”) Class; or
- Members of the Provincial Nominee Class who fall within the Express Entry Stream of a Provincial Nominee Program (“PNP”).
Express Entry applicants were selected to receive an ITA based on how many points they were assigned under the Comprehensive Ranking System (“CRS”).
Since my previous report, CIC has now issued two additional rounds of ITAs, bringing the total to four since Express Entry commenced. A summary of all four Express Entry rounds to date appears below:
- In Round #1 (January 31, 2015), CIC issued 779 ITAs. Applicants in this round were required to receive at least 886 CRS points.
- In Round #2 (February 7, 2015), CIC issued 779 ITAs. Applicants in this round were required to receive at least 818 CRS points.
- In Round #3 (February 20, 2015), CIC issued 849 ITAs. Applicants in this round were required to receive at least 808 CRS points.
- In Round #4 (February 27, 2015), CIC issued 1187 ITAs. Applicants in this round were required to receive at least 735 CRS points.
It would appear as though CIC is slowing increasing the number of ITAs that it issues in each round. It is also lowering the minimum CRS score that applies in each round.
This is definitely a step in the right direction. However, the total number of ITAs being issued is still relatively small, given the fact that Express Entry applies to all cases filed under the FSW, CEC, FST, and Express Entry Stream. Also, even with a minimum score of 735 CRS points, an applicant cannot receive an ITA unless he or she either: (1) has arranged employment, or (2) has a nomination certificate issued under the Express Entry stream of a PNP.
Hopefully, future rounds will allow for a greater number of ITAs and a minimum score below 600 CRS points.
Latest posts by Henry J. Chang, Dentons LLP (see all)
- Due to the COVID-19 outbreak, foreign nationals in Canada may receive interim employment authorization while their inland work permit applications are pending - May 22, 2020
- An analysis of US travel restrictions along the Canada-US border and US-Mexico border due to the COVID-19 outbreak - April 16, 2020
- Government of Canada announces mandatory self-quarantine of international travellers in order to reduce the spread of COVID-19 - April 16, 2020